The temporomandibular joint fastens the jaw to the skull and enables smooth sliding and hinge movement for comfortable biting, chewing, yawning and talking. Sometimes injury, stress, overuse and/or poor alignment causes “TMJ”—jaw pain and dysfunction. Our chiropractor Dr. Lee can help alleviate these symptoms:
- Popping or clicking sounds when opening and closing the mouth
- Jaw pain that sometimes spreads to the ears, neck, face or shoulders
- Difficulty talking or chewing, with occasional jaw locking or grating
- A change in the way the teeth fit together
TMJ Treatment in Irvine
Our chiropractor in Irvine can help you alleviate TMJ pain and it’s most common causes, which include:
- Physical injury—A car accident injury, sports injury or other types of trauma can jar the temporomandibular joint out of proper alignment. When this happens, the soft tissues and bone grate against each other painfully.
- Stress—Chronic stress and tension cause many people to clench their teeth frequently, or even grind their teeth while they sleep. Nighttime teeth grinding is called bruxism. Clenching and grinding both cause excessive stress on the temporomandibular joint, leading to pain, inflammation and other TMJ symptoms.
Our chiropractor is highly qualified to address these root causes of jaw pain and dysfunction, and provides several treatments to alleviate the causes to relieve the pain:
- Chiropractic adjustments—Dr. Lee can correct any physical misalignments in the spine, the neck and the jaw that are causing pain. Making sure your jaw, neck and back are correctly aligned can relieve the jaw pain, as well as the headaches, neck pain and earaches that often accompany TMJ.
- Massage Therapy—Because stress is one of the major factors behind many cases of TMJ, massage therapy is a great way to relieve this excess stress. Targeted massage can also reduce inflammation in the jaw to help improve range of motion and reduce pain.
- Myofascial Release—This gentle, sustained, hands-on pressure on specific muscles responsible for opening and closing the jaw helps relieve the tension and relax the jaw.
- Therapeutic Exercises—Dr. Lee teaches you exercises that relax tight jaw muscles and improve range of motion.
So if popping, grating and pain have taken the fun and enjoyment out of eating and having a good conversation, please schedule an appointment to talk with Dr. Lee today. We can help relieve your stress and any other problems causing you jaw pain. Just call us in Irvine at 949-552-2100.