Sciatica Pain Relief Treatment from Your Irvine Chiropractor
Sciatica is a symptom, not a condition all by itself. This burning leg pain happens when your sciatic nerve is pinched or irritated. When this happens, pain can shoot from the lower back, down one leg, and all the way to your foot. Sciatica can have a few different underlying causes, which makes getting a proper diagnosis essential to lasting injury or pain relief treatment. Irvine chiropractor Dr. John Lee can diagnose the root cause of and provide lasting, natural sciatica leg pain treatment.
What Causes Sciatica Leg Pain?
Most cases of sciatica affect the lower back and one buttock, leg and/or foot. Our chiropractor will thoroughly examine you and listen to your symptoms to determine whether one of these potential underlying conditions are causing your leg pain:
- Bulging disc or herniated disc—Injury or pressure from poor posture can cause a bulging or herniated discs. If a lumbar disc herniates and the inner gel-like nucleus extrudes from the outer membrane, it may pinch the sciatic nerve, causing sciatica leg pain.
- Subluxations—When vertebrae in the lumbar spine (lower back) are out of alignment, they may also compress the sciatic nerve.
- Spondylolisthesis—Spinal misalignments in small children can cause tiny fractures in lumbar vertebrae that eventually manifest as sciatica in adolescence or adulthood.
- Spinal stenosis—Age-related degeneration or other medical conditions may cause the channel the spinal cord travels down to narrow, compressing the sciatic nerve and others.
- Piriformis syndrome—A small muscle deep under the gluteus muscles may stars having spasms if irritated, which can irritate the sciatic nerve.
Chiropractic Care is Effective Treatment for Sciatica
Depending on your individual diagnosis, chiropractor Dr. Lee can help you recover from your sciatica by providing multifaceted treatment for the root condition causing the sciatic nerve irritation. Chiropractic care is a particularly effective treatment for most of these conditions because it optimizes spinal alignment to remove pressure from the sciatic nerve, thus providing pain relief.
In addition to chiropractic care, Dr. Lee may suggest massage therapy to provide relief from muscle spasms and to reduce inflammation. Therapeutic exercises can also help, particularly as you strengthen your core muscles to better support spinal alignment that can prevent future sciatica attacks, and their root causes.
Visit Your Irvine Chiropractor for Sciatica Relief
Don’t let sciatica stop your lifestyle! Schedule an appointment with Irvine chiropractor Dr. Lee, either online or by calling 949-552-2100.