Irvine Chiropractor Provides Bulging and Herniated Disc Relief
There are shock-absorbing discs that should fit perfectly between each of the vertebrae in your spine, allowing nerves to pass comfortably out from your spinal cord to all the rest of the areas of your body. These discs have a tough, but flexible outer covering with a softer, jelly-like center. As we age, these discs may lose some of their hydration and start bulging. A bulging disc is also referred to as a protruding disc. These are common in the neck and lower back and some people may even have them without any pain or symptoms. A herniated disc is one in which the tougher outer covering has cracked, allowing some of the inner filling to slip out, causing a herniation that can pinch nerves. This may lead to back or neck pain and even numbness and tingling in areas of the body controlled by the affected nerves. Fortunately, our chiropractor in Irvine can provide effective treatment and relief for disc problems.
Questions about a Spinal Disc Slip, Bulge or Herniation?
Why does a disc become bulged or herniated and allow its filling to slip out and pinch nerves? There are several things that could cause a protrusion or herniation:
- Traumatic injury—A car accident injury like whiplash can cause disc damage in the neck, for example. Any type of back injury might also damage discs lower in the back, causing sciatica symptoms.
- Poor posture—Long hours hunching, slouching or leaning can nudge vertebrae out of correct alignment, causing them to put undue pressure on the discs. This can lead to bulging and eventually herniation and protrusion.
- Aging—Discs often start bulging when the aging process starts dehydrating them. This can be a precursor to pain and eventual slip and protrusion.
Fortunately, there are drug-free, non-surgical bulging disc or herniated disc treatment options that our chiropractor Dr. Lee can offer for long-term pain relief so you can get back to an active lifestyle:
- Chiropractic spinal adjustments—Our chiropractor is highly skilled at gently adjusting vertebrae back into correct posture, taking pressure off of discs, which provides pain relief.
- Therapeutic exercises—Core strength and proper posture are crucial to relieving bulging and herniated discs. Our chiropractor will coach you on correct form during exercises, stretches and advise you on proper ergonomics for daily tasks.
- Massage therapy—Massage can help relieve pain naturally by flushing endorphins into your system, reducing painful inflammation and improving circulation that can help discs maintain their correct shape.
If you are suffering due to a bulging disc or herniated disc condition, there is hope for relief! Please reach out to us and schedule an appointment today: (949) 552-2100.